A Complete Guide About Logo File Formats
A logo design is a tricky but an imperative part for the brand recognition and its success in the competitive market. While launching your business, you will need to utilize the new innovative logo design everywhere you possibly can. For example on websites, tv and billboard advertisements, business cards, t-shirts, bus stop ads, etc. However before you expose your brand-new logo to the world, it's crucial to make sure you use it correctly. The tricky point is, your logo design would be the same wherever it is used but the file type is different for each type of use. It is important to have the right file types for your logo so you can easily use it on any platform without issues. Thus, you may need to use a reliable image converter to get the required format.
Types of logo files
There are numerous types of logo files available in the digital world. However, it can get a bit confusing which type of file to choose for your desired purpose, because there are many options available to choose from. After a thorough read, you can make a better-informed decision. After the finalization of the logo, it is time to choose the corresponding digital files that match the platform they will be used in. Given below are the commonly used logo file formats and their potential advantages and disadvantages.
Png or portable network graphics are image files that can potentially be used for many kinds of digital purposes. This is quite handy if you need to make the logo with a transparent background. It enables its utilization on any patterned or colored background. These are a preferred choice for clients and web developers because these types of files work well with web browsers and computer systems. Png files are ideal to be used on social media, websites and blogs, online platforms, presentations, etc. These files can even be viewed on most browsers without downloading them. You can convert your images from any format for example from jpg to png using an image converter online.
- Easy to use, open, and load.
- No software is required to view or edit.
- Color representation is accurate.
- Post conversion retains the image quality.
- Transparent background can be used.
- More than 15 million colors can be displayed.
- Large size.
- Need to be compressed for web use.
- Take time to load on websites.
SVG or scalable vector graphics is significantly built for web use. You can use SVG for scaling up images without compromising the quality. Thus it is an essential tool for creating sharp visuals. This type of file format is ideal for printing because the image is guaranteed to be displayed clearly irrespective of its size. SVG files are often used by web developers because the codes in these files can be changed in addition to the rest of the site. Such encoded data is not visible to any other user pursuing the website. SVG files are ideal for printing materials, stickers, and labels as well as clothing but not large-scale printing.
- Easy to edit and customize.
- Smaller in size compared to PNG or JPG.
- Can be altered to any size without compromising quality.
- Easy to get a transparent background.
- Interactive at pro level.
- Contain embedded data or keywords.
- Poor optimization of SVG files have large sizes.
- Requires coding for effective use.
JPEG or joint photographic experts group is also known as a JPG file. This type of file is the ideal file format for digital purposes and web images. It has the ability to be compressed into smaller sizes which makes it a better option than other formats. JPEG files also have lower resolution as compared to the other formats like PNGs which means that these load a lot faster on websites than PNG files. This is often used by clients and developers.. JPEG files consist of RGB or CMYK color profiles. You can easily convert other files like png to jpg easily and vice versa.
- Supported by many browsers on the web.
- Quick Loading.
- Very effective compression.
- Easily converted into other file formats.
- Suitable for printing and web use.
- Cannot hold a transparent background.
Pdf or portable document format is usually used for documents. These files consist of vector graphics, so logo files in this format can be easily used for sharing or printing. Pdf files can be downloaded and opened on a computer, mobile phone, or tablet. Moreover, you can view files in this format without downloading them. To edit such files there are specific graphic design tools for example Illustrator or Photoshop. Pdf files are ideal for printing and web-based projects, used by many designers and clients today. These files allow compression at multiple rates with multiple resolutions which makes them suitable for fabric printing and posters.
- High compatibility (Can be opened/ read on any device eg mobile or tablet).
- No software required.
- Transparent background available.
- Ideal for sharing with others.
- Ideal for printing or web use.
- Can be protected with a password.
- Need specific programs for editing e.g. Adobe Acrobat.
Eps or encapsulated postscript is a well-known file format used for dual purposes. For example editing logos or printing preparation. This format is also named the working file, due to the reason that it allows designers to make amendments and work with great accuracy. Moreover, you can use software like Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop to open an EPS file. It is important to keep in mind that such files need to be accommodated with both colored and transparent backgrounds. This is to ensure that printing and editing requirements are met adequately. EPS files are ideal for fabric printing, brochures, posters, stickers, business cards, etc.
- Can be resized easily.
- Retains quality and resolution.
- Transparent background support.
- Can be edited using design software e.g. Photoshop.
- High compatibility with modern printing software.
- Used on a variety of mediums eg billboards.
- Not suitable for web usage or app usage.
These are some major types of logo files you can choose when using your business logo in multiple places. If your logo file is not in the format you require, it can easily be converted to another format. Use bulkimageresizer to instantly convert your files from one format to another free of cost.